We’ve written previously about maintaining your suit and before we start writing about tuxedos, we strongly recommend you read our blog post here: How to Take Care of Your Suit so it Lasts.
Since an occasion to wear a tuxedo doesn’t come up as often as an occasion to wear a suit, the tuxedo does spend quite a bit of time in storage. For this reason, it is important that you know how to store it properly.
1) Try to dry-clean your tuxedo before hanging it in storage. This is assuming that you are not going to wear it again next week. In other words, if its going to be stored for a while, then it should be dry-cleaned before it gets hanged.
2) When you are hanging your tuxedo, make sure that there is nothing in the pockets and nothing that would cause the cloth to get deformed in shape.
3) Hang your tuxedo in a dry location (i.e. avoid moisture).
4) Use an airtight suit bag for the storage and make sure to drop in some moth protection in order to be extra safe. For more info on this, make sure to read our article about preventing moth holes in your clothing.
5) Unbutton the tuxedo before hanging it so that it will fall back into its original tailored form.
6) When hanging it, make sure that it is not squished in your closet.
7) Use a nice and thick hanger without pointy edges so it doesn’t damage the tux.
As for other maintenance tips, if you do stain your tuxedo, try using a moist cloth (cold water) and try to spot clean gently. This is of course a temporary measure so you don’t have to run out of the event to the dry cleaners. Tuxedos are a valuable asset so if you do stain yours, do visit the dry cleaners as soon as you can.